Friday, August 18, 2006

IT FINALLY BLOOMED....

This Texas Star Hibiscus plant came to me from my friend, Sue, last year, and I've nursed it along now through two growing seasons. Last summer, it was just a baby, so I pampered it carefully, not anticipating any blossoms. About six weeks ago, I noticed the beginnings of some buds on the tips of the stalks, and I've patiently watched them grow. For about the last week or so, the huge buds seemingly stopped growing, but they showed no signs of bursting open. I even called Sue to get her take on what I thought was a problem.

So, when I took my morning stroll around the farm a few minutes ago, I saw this burst of red (the photo really doesn't do it justice) off in the distance and ran to get my camera. Sure enough, the first bud opened, and this wonderful star flower was facing into the sun in the east. Needless to say, it was like the arrival of kittens or puppies for me, and I feel like the proud mother of my blooming plant. I also noticed that several other of the huge buds looked like they are ready to pop!

YEAH...Now I want to have these plants all over the farm!!!! If anyone wants some seeds to start next spring, just let me know...

No comments: