Tuesday, February 24, 2009

HAIR

Inspired by these lovely women who had just spent $5.00 for their new "do" at the Rinky Dink's Flea Market & Hair Salon, I decided to follow suit and head to Terry's Hair Creations to join in a new look for spring.

Here's the before the scissors look. I really hadn't realized just how long my hair had gotten. I've been growing it with the intention of donating it to Locks of Love. Then one of Mary Ann's students told her there were some sketchy happenings in the Locks of Love world., and at that point, I opted to donate my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths in support of women who need wigs following chemotherapy for breast and other cancers.

Here's the after look. Whew! My head feels lighter, my hair feels fluffier, and heart feels happy to know I could donate 10" of thick, healthy, graying hair (an 8" length is required) to the cause.

Here's the catch....I now read that if the hair is over 5% gray, it's really not accepted since graying hair is much harder to match with other hair when dyed to make a wig. (It takes 5 ponytails to make one wig. )
Bah humbug! I've decided I don't care. I'm sending in the ponytail anyway in the hopes that someone will request a natural salt and pepper colored wig. If so, there'll be a thick hank waiting.

2 comments:

Melo said...

Hi Tanya,

My hubby has done that hair donating about 2-3 times. Seeing this post is kind of coincidental; last night I had a dream of a woman with very long hair, longer than her own body. She was dipping the tips of it in a creek, I don't know why. It may have been b/c I've been wanting to do something totally out of the box with mine lately. I always dreamed of a very short haircut and recently asked DH if he's one of those men who only likes long hair in women (aka "stuck ups", hehe). He said no, as long as the short haircut "fits" the face. So I am seriously thinking of visiting the hair salon soon. I'd cut it myself if I knew how, which I already do, but for a short cut to look good I will allow a professional to do that.

I might also do some funky colored patches myself. Mine is S&P too, mostly still black, but I refuse to tint it. I am on a path to embracing my years and the way I naturally age, ya know. But the colored patches will validate my artist heart. I've always been too conservative with my hair. It's time to let the artist fly free.

Anyway, I came here to ask you if this is ok with you. If not, I'll delete it:

http://meloart.blogspot.com/2009/02/winter-blues.html

K said...

Wow, what a change! Now, how will you get your hair as full and wind-swept as those lovely dolls? :)