Sunday, October 08, 2006


THE PERFECT WARM FALL WEEKEND....

These past two days have been absolutely glorious...early fall at its best! I spent both Saturday and Sunday outdoors, the first extended period of time I've had outdoors since school began in August, and I LOVED IT !!

Saturday, I mowed and mowed some more. With the thought I won't be doing it again this year, I tackled both banks and cut down the stands of weeds on them that had been growing since mid-August. I think I mowed for about 4 hours. I felt good in my body, definitely stronger and more flexible thanks to my trips to the Y and yoga. When I hit the sack last night, I was out in a moment's notice and slept like a log for 9 straight hours!

Today, I thought about going in to town and decided otherwise the moment I walked outside. At that point, I decided to weed out the beds down by the barn and plant some late greens--collards, kale, buttercrunch, and turnips. Then I took a lap around the back field with the dogs and my camera in hand. Tom Jackson came over for a while, and we ended up digging the last of the onions down by the silo and making a fall bundle from the cornstalks we pulled out from between the weeds. After Tom left, the sun was beginning to sink in the west, so I grabbed my camera one more time and captured a few more farm flowers in the light of the late afternoon sun. I couldn't make myself come in until it was totally dark outside.

The photo will provide some idea of what's thriving around here as frost approaches. I hope for a delay in cold weather and pray that days like these past two will be around for a while longer.




No comments: