Sunday, October 26, 2008

JOYOUS, JOYOUS NEWS

(Pepín & Laida Carro - August, 2007)
A few weeks back, I wrote about my friends, Laida and Pepín Carro. Pepín was in seriously critical condition after a series of heart surgeries. When I see him again, I'm going to give him the award for "Most Times Knockin' on Death's Door Without Getting an Answer Award." After the second surgery, Pepín developed an intense infection, pneumonia, and edemas all over his body. It's been touch and go every day, and Laida has been pulled between being with him at the hospital and visiting her mother, who's bedridden and receiving care in a private home. I really can't remember life being so intense for anyone as it has been for Pepín, as he has struggled to live, and Laida, who's been caretaking double time.

OK, here's the bestest, bestest news...Pepín is out of the coma, breathed four hours on his own yesterday without the respirator, and smiled and joked a bit with the MD's. It's really the first sign of "life" that we've seen from him since his first surgery on September 15th, and we are all esctatic! There's not doubt in my mind that he's been sustained by prayer and a determined will unlike I've witnessed before, and although he's not out of the woods yet, there's certainly a light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I'm jumpin' for joy, and my heart's bubblin' over with gratitude!

No comments: