Friday, July 12, 2013

HOME (OH) FROM HOME (NC)

July 11, 2013

Observations / thoughts upon returning home (to OH home from NC Home) after being gone for 8 days:

1.  The farm's pretty drenched.  Mud-puddles and soggy grass....
2. And  lush vegetation...Lots of ragweed, teasel, burdock, pokeberry, honeysuckle....all those guys who get ahead of me fast most every summer.....
2.  The teasel = more abundant than usual.  And it's thorny and beautiful....
3.  A farm first:  33 summers here at the farm, I've never had flowers die as a result of excessively wet soil.  Sun-deprived and waterlogged gladioli, with buds rotting on the stem....and real puny looking datura....that's unheard of...
4.  Lilies in full bloom...can't wait to see them in the weekend sun...
5.  Sunflowers down from storm....one pepper plant uprooted...lower gardens will need some TLC soon...
6.  First sighting of Japanese beetles here this summer....Actually watched them emerge by the hundreds from the ground at a rest stop where I walked the dogs...lots of them! 
7.  In blooming news....two healthy cleomes, bright zinnias beginning to open, dahlia buds opening up...a couple of glads taller than I and doing OK, and the overstuffed flower bed down by the barn glorious....three stunning indoor orchids
8. In garden news: looks good..tomatoes a little "leggy"...pepper plants a bit contorted from the storm....beets ready to eat....container veggies and flowers pretty water-logged....basil ready for first round of pesto.
9.  Hummingbirds abundant....sure their nectar is a bit diluted...
10.  Mac & MerryBelle glad to be here....MB had a grumpy spell in the car....Might be time to call in Anna from Colorado again....

Boone: 

11. Family gathered at the Matney Community Club...the elders, now frailer and more fragile...the younger ones , getting acquainted, more familiar with one another....The Shooks = as "mountain"as they get...especially good to hang out with my Aunt Mabel for a bit and see my Uncle Bradley (who looks like my dad with a long beard...) up at Grandma's....Aunt Linda, Kenneth & Joyce....cousins galore...everyone, truly everyone....
12. Mom...precious moments....94.5 yrs. old...riding shotgun as we took off through the country...adventuresome still....slurping her strawberry milkshake to the very last drop...slower....hearing loss =a challenge for all
13.  Family taking care of family:  Uncle Errol and Aunt Pat; Bill & Sylvia...good, good folk....I feel lucky....grateful...
14. Mom, Myra and I with four days together.....beyond priceless....a few special minutes with Beth Dixon...friends since Miss Putnam's 1st grade...Girl Scouts together...a sister spirit
15. Random: I wanna move my farm to NC and still have it in OH, too.
16.  Miss Hal....vacant at moments...still sparkly eyes....frail...
17.  More Mom...sneaking treats to M & MB, who moved into outright begging in no time flat....talking about knitting....stories....loves company...loves ice cream and Cheetos
18.  Different without Uncle Frank, Richard and Aunt Lera in Boone...missed our dinners around the table ....
19.  Time in my grandmother's house....Family gathered there....unchanged...peace....security....legacy...I close my eyes and see her sitting in her chair looking out over the mountains. Forever with me.....

3 comments:

queenbeehoney said...

Beautiful Tanya. You really have your hands full of growing things, don't know how you can keep up with it all.

patricia said...

Love hearing your thoughts...

BDL said...

What a lovely summary of your week! I can see the farm in my mind's eye, just as I can see your Grandma Shook sitting in her chair. My Mama Hodges, maternal great-grandmother holds that same spot for me, sitting in her rocker or ringing the bell for Papa to come in to see us. Loved our precious few minutes together. Truly, we are both blessed beyond measure!