Monday, March 31, 2008

THE FIRST & THE LAST

Probably taken in early spring of 1921, the photo below shows my grandmother holding my dad, and unless someone uncovers an earlier photo, I believe this is the first image we have of Papa. I suspect the photo was taken outside their home in Matney, NC, but I'll have to get that fact verified. Daddy was born in December, and I'd guess he's about 4-5 months old here. I've cropped the original to zero in a bit closer on their faces. I don't have any photos of Grandma as a young woman.

Some 87 years later, I took this last photo of Daddy on Christmas Day, 2007 in Grandma's living room. Her house is just up the hill from where I think the first photo was taken. We had just eaten Christmas dinner at Grandma's, and I caught Papa with his napkin in his hand.


1 comment:

Very Mary said...

Zeb can sure rock bow ties AND gowns! Here's to a life well-lived Papa Shook!