Sunday, January 09, 2022

WELCOME 2022 ! A BLOGPOST IN LIEU OF HOLIDAY CARDS THAT DIDN’T GET IN THE MAIL

I am grateful to begin my posts for 2022 in good health and spirits. The final two weeks of 2021 didn’t measure up to great celebration, but when there’s a new beginning with a lot of things vanishing with the “water under the bridge,” I’ll be optimistic.

The Shook-Wilders arrived in Boone in batches for Christmas.  Myra and I got home early to assist in the hospital care of cousin Bill Rominger, who was recovering from open heart surgery and a second surgery to repair a hole in his gut. It was touch and go for a minute, but he’s home and recovering now. Samuel and Cait arrived on the 26th, and the celebrations heightened with Harrison coming in on the 27th. Eliza and Alex drove in on the 28th, and there the unraveling begins - not at all as a result of their presence, of course.

Caitlin had a sore throat. She had gone to CVS to “pick up a few things,” one of which was a covid home test. Literally at the moment, Alex and Eliza pulled into the driveway, we got word that she had tested positive for covid. I felt so sorry for her and Samuel, for they had looked forward to spending time with Eliza and Alex. 

Fortunately, the weather was nice, and we had about 2 hours to enjoy each other outside, distanced and masked. We opened presents, laughed a bit, and savored each minute together. Shortly thereafter, Cait and Samuel packed up to return to Nashville, Harrison and his dog Ace split for Asheville, Eliza and Alex debated as to their next move, and Myra and I settled in to disinfect the house and hope like the dickens no one else came down.

That was wishful thinking for the next morning, I was met with a sick sister, masked up and sitting in the recliner in the den. Eliza and Alex headed back to Cincinnati, dismally sad and in tears. Within two days and following two “official” tests at the local health department (negative for both Myra and me), our testing strip on the home test came back with every indicator possible for Covid. I didn’t feel poorly at all and would describe my “covidity” as basically asymptomatic….well, almost that way  

In between healthy days and testing positive, I was able to see Richard Randall, our angel who looked after doggies as Myra and I spent time in Hickory with Bill, and Terri Langdon. Otherwise, isolation and quarantine defined the days. (On a positive note, Myra and I spent a lot of quality time together, and I enjoyed being with her, even through croupy days.) When I drove back to Ohio after New Years Day, I didn’t even stop along the way in order to avoid spreading my “viral load.” 

The corgis and I arrived at the farm with very full bladders and joyful hearts. Even if I haven’t gone anywhere or seen anyone for a few days, we get out to walk and enjoy the outdoors without concern. Quite a relief, I must admit.

There were many highlights during 2021, including……

Eliza’s and Alex got engaged! Alex orchestrated the most wonderful proposal on a mountainside  in Vermont, where the two of them had hiked to enjoy the brilliant fall colors. The joy we feel with their engagement is over the top. Alex already fits into our family like he was born into it. He and his son Dominic add so much love that all I can do is smile and savor the warmth in my heart for Eliza and him as they plan their life together. Wedding plans remain incomplete, giving them time to plan the ceremony.  Love, love sweet love prevails in their house and hearts.  

Samuel and Caitlin purchased a house and moved to Nashville. Both of them were able to stay with their companies, and  now, they work remotely from the comfort of their house on Treutland Avenue. I haven’t visited their new place yet, but a trip’s in the works. I’m so happy for them and proud of the way they went about searching, negotiating and finally acquiring their home. Caitlin’s fine eye for beauty and decoration will make their home a home.  Samuel continues to read voraciously and write as time allows  

I spent a week in May with Bobbi and Isabella in Cape May, timed perfectly for the spring migration. Bobbi and I birded every day, and I’d say were took the award for the island’s nerdiest birders as we biked around the point in our birding attire and nerdy hats. Isabella and friends joined us to celebrate her 21st birthday, and Robert Knisel came to spend  a day with us. Robert and Bobbi are good friends from  Philadelphia. Since then, Bobbi and her partner Mark have purchased two houses in Cape May, and I have a hunch, we’ll be spending some good migration time there. Isabella has grown into a beautiful woman.  I still see the little girl twinkle in her eyes. I enjoyed every minute with her!

The corgis are aging; I can’t deny that fact. Regardless, they feel fine though long walks are off the table these days. Mac still loves to play “stick” outdoors and fetch old socks inside. My hearing suffers as a result of their LOUD barks, but I don’t know what I’d do without their companionship, especially during the spikes and isolation of the pandemic. Mac, MerryBelle, and I form a tightly-bound pack that hangs close to the farm and to each other. I realize I’m as much of a dog as a person, but I don’t bark or go outside to pee.

The Esbenshade Series of Marietta College suffered the effects of the pandemic, but we’re up and running again.  I see my time as director coming to a close, especially with wedding planning on the horizon. I  don’t know what the future has in store,  but it would seem this is the year for the barn to come down and for me to chart the next move in my life.  I’d love to have more time in the mountains and travel, as well as have a place to hang out here in Marietta. That’s what I’m going to manifest. Put it out there with me, please!

I have added drawing to my list of interests, and I’ve posted many creations on Facebook. Inspired by others who are sharing their work, I also started an Instagram page (@tanyaswilderart) after working up the courage to post what I create. Knitting, handmade paper, drawing on my iPad, and my flowers define my creative time.

Bobbi has turned me on to heart meditations with the I Am Heart group, and as I grow in understanding and insight, I realize on an even deeper level that life is all about opening our hearts, loving, growing, and sharing our love on physical, as well as energetic levels. So, I close this first post with my wish for us all: may we all grow and prosper abundantly, following the path of love in our lives and in our hearts.

As the barn shares with us, peace and love, and don’t forget to laugh!

T.



No comments: