Monday, April 16, 2007

A DAY I WISH WE COULD ALL FORGET..

I have two friends who teach at Virginia Tech--a guy I was in grad school with at U-Kentucky back in the 70's, and my roomate from the two years I taught in Winston-Salem, NC. She's now the chair of the Foreign Language Department at Virginia Tech. I've seen both of them recently, and they both remarked about how much they enjoyed teaching there.

As a mom with a son in college (only two hours away from Blacksburg), I cannot imagine being in the situation in which students and parents there find themselves now. As a college teacher who has actually contemplated how vulnerable my students and I are to such an unthinkable situation, I will confess to feeling some level of fear for what could happen on many other campuses.

For now, I want to snuggle in with Eliza, the corgis, and Loonis the Cat. I wish Samuel, Bobbi, and Isabella were here too. I want them in the bed with me, close to me, and safe in my arms.

Om.....Shanti....Shanti....Shanti....
Om.....

Namaste...

No comments: